A Supported Internship gives a young person with additional needs the support they need to enter the world of work. It offers them the opportunity to gain vital work experience, to learn new skills and to increase their confidence. Rutland County Council are working in partnership with colleges and local employers to support Rutland’s Young People aged 16 – 24 with an Education, Health and Care Plan into Supported Internships.
We are working with employers in Rutland to provide local placements for our young people.
Information for businesses
- Are you looking for hard working and enthusiastic young workers?
- Would you like to build a workforce that reflects the local community?
- Could your business offer a work placement to a young person on a Supported Internship programme?
A Supported Internship is an unpaid, structured study programme where the young person spends the majority of their time at an employer.
Each intern is supported by a Job Coach, provided through the college, who will observe whilst the intern is trained up by your staff. They will then be on hand to help the intern learn and develop their skills, gradually stepping back until the job is being completed individually.
We are looking for local businesses who can offer a placement of up to 12 hours a week (during term time). It is expected that the intern will be fulfilling a role for which there is a business need with the potential of a paid job at the end. Although there’s no commitment for businesses to keep an intern on after the end of a placement, the hope is that you won’t want to let them go!
The job coach will work with you to identify suitable roles and ensure a good match with a young person.
The teams themselves have loved having the students working with them and have been exceptionally supportive. We have been able to give staff opportunities to develop mentoring skills and the students have been able to make a contribution to both the work and development of the teamKay Rainsby
Information for young people
- Would you like to get a paid job in the future?
- Are you aged between 16 and 24?
- Do you have an Education, Health and Care Plan?
If the answer to these questions is YES, then a Supported Internship could be just the opportunity you’re looking for.
A Supported Internship is a learning programme based at a workplace. You will:
- Learn about work by being in work
- Gain confidence and new skills
- Have a Job Coach to support you
- Spend about 12 hours a week at work
- Spend 1 day a week in college, improving your Maths, English and Employability Skills
- Gain skills and experience which will help you into paid employment
I enjoyed being in a working environment and being treated like an adult! From the Supported Internship, I gained employment as a permanent part-time paid employee.Yasmeen
If you’d like to know more about any of the above, please contact
Rutland County Council’s Supported Internship Job Coach,
Rachel Williams, on
01572 720948 or RWilliams@rutland.gov.uk.